No matter how many times I watch videos of Kim Kardashian’s makeup routine, I’m always down to watch more. Why? The beauty icon is constantly pulling out new tricks or trying new trends or new products she’s obsessed with, and well, I’m a sucker for all those things.
Now, usually it’s Kim’s go-to makeup artist Mario Dedivanovic who walks us through Kim’s latest looks, but this time, the mother of three got the back of her own hands dirty with swatches in a video for Vogue and showed us just what she’s capable of. I have to say, I’m impressed! Watch the entire video for yourself above. Kimmie did not half-ass this challenge and came full-force with a 27-step holiday makeup look. Behold:
The Breakdown of Kim’s Holiday Makeup Look
1. Moisturize. A lot. Kim says even if she’s already applied her moisturizer to her skin for the day, she’ll do it once again before applying her makeup to get that “oily slip” she prefers for foundation.
2. Apply foundation. Kim then applies her foundation with a dual-ended brush from IT Cosmetics, though what she would prefer to use is her trusty 12-year-old MAC kabuki brush that has… seen better days. Her foundation of choice is by La Mer, and she even applies the foundation on her eyelids.
3. Comb brows. Kim has great brows, which is why all she does to them is run a spoolie comb through the hairs in an upward motion. I wish it were that easy.
4. Conceal. She applies a liquid concealer under her eyes, but also applies it in the middle of her forehead and on the corners of her lips. To quickly blend it all out, she uses a makeup sponge that’s been dampened with a facial mist.
Shop the Products for Kim’s Base
5. Blot lips. Then Kimmie takes whatever product is leftover on the sponge and pats it on her lips to cancel out the color because she likes to start with a “totally nude palette.”
6. Set it. To set the concealer, Kim liberally applies her baking powder on top in shade “Bake 2.”
7. Contour. While she bakes, she contours (with her own contour sticks, of course) along her cheekbones and jawline and lips. Kim “loves a tiny little forehead,” so she uses a darker shade to contour along her hairline. Then she blends everything out with, you guessed it, her fave kabuki brush.
8. Powder. Kim then uses translucent powder to set her whole face. She really focuses in on powdering her smile line area (what she calls her “problem area”) to prevent it from creasing.
9. Blend. It’s unclear if the fluffy face brush Kim uses here actually has product on it or not, but she continues to blend in the contour around her forehead, cheekbones, and jawline in the shape of a “3.”
10. Remove excess powder. Kim dusts off the extra translucent powder on the lower half of her face, but leaves the under eye to bake for a little longer while she moves on to the eye look.
Shop the Products for Kim’s Glow
11. Apply gray shadow. For her “glitz” and “smoke” look, Kim starts with a matte gray shade from her Glam Bible palette and blends it into the creases and onto the lids of her eyes.
12. Highlight the brow bone. Then she applies a shimmery cream shade onto the area right below the arches of her brows and blends it out.
13. Smoke out bottom lash line. She then uses a smudging brush and smokes out her under eyes with the same gray shade. Kim says she feels naked without shadow under her eyes, so if you’re trying to copy her look, you better not skip this step.
14. Add sparkle. Kim applies a tiny bit of Stila liquid eye shadow down the center of her eyelid and uses her finger to pat it in and blend it out.
15. Add more shimmer. She tops the liquid shadow with more shimmer in the center of her eyelids, this time in a “gold-ish, green-ish” shade.
Shop the Products for Kim’s Eyes
16. Line eyes. Kim then coats her bottom waterline with a black pencil liner from her collection.
17. Curl lashes. Kim has great lashes, but she still relies on a lash curler to get the most volume.
18. Layer mascara. For the most intense lash look, Kim layers both of her fave mascaras: Lancôme Hypnôse Doll Lashes and Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes Volume 2.
19. Separate lashes. Even though she says she prefers clumpy, messy lashes, Kim uses her Ulta Beauty lash separator to comb through them afterward… which then results in those dreaded mascara smudges that you and I know of way too well. Celebs, they’re just like us.
20. Brighten. Kim applies a touch of brightening powder under her eyes, which she says is the trick to her “dark Armenian under-eye-circle success.”
21. Line lips. To start the lips, Kim uses a brown liner from her collection to trace them and fills in the area above her cupids bow for a ’90s look. For the center of the lips, she applies tiny strokes and then uses her finger to blend it in for a lighter center.
22. Apply lipstick. Kim tops her pout with lipstick from her line in shade “Classic Icon 2.”
Shop the Products for Kim’s Lashes
23. Add blush. For blush Kim sticks with the classic NARS “Orgasm.”
24. Contour again. Oh, you thought she was finished contouring? Kim applies taupe powder along the sides of her nose, underneath the tip, and a little on top of the tip to contour—a trick she learned from NikkieTutorials.
25. Highlight. Saving the best for the end, Kim highlights down her nose, above her cupids bow, along her cheekbones with multiple shades from the Kylie Cosmetics Kris Kollection palette.
Shop the Products for Kim’s Lips
26. Apply lipstick again. I’ll admit, lip colors are always hard to decide, and Kim changes her mind last minute and opts for a lighter center shade instead. This time she goes with shade “Nude 1.”
27. Lip gloss. Finally, a little gloss on the lips, and she’s finished. WHEW.
The result is everything you love about a classic Kim K makeup look: contoured, smoky, and super glam.